- Building Inspection
- Permit Applications & Requirements
Permit Applications & Requirements
Beginning Wednesday February 1, 2023 all Building/Zoning permit applications will be applied for on OpenGov.
New Building Permitting Software
Open Gov will allow homeowners and contractors to apply directly online through the Open Gov software application. (You may need to sign up as a user initially.) You will be able to upload all files and requested documents and potentially receive approved permits in as little as one business day. The concept is to expedite permits, reduce paper and inform you on the go that an inspection has been performed. We look forward to working with the residents and contractors moving forward and are confident that the transition will go smoothly. Please call Jack at 608-270-4242 if you have any questions or experience any issues with the program.
Work Requiring a Permit
Permits and Inspections are required for the following; please note the list below is not a complete list. If you have any questions as to whether your project requires a permit, please call Building Inspection at 608-270-4260.
- New construction: Such as a house, garage, room addition, porch, deck, swimming pool, etc.
- Addition and/or alteration to existing structures: Such as remodeling, refinishing, finishing, etc.
- Basement waterproofing
- Electrical service replacement or upgrade: Such as additions or alterations to existing electrical system
- Furnace or air conditioner installation or replacement
- Plumbing installations and repair work: Such as water heater installation or replacement
- Re-roofing: Including tear off or overlay
- Siding of existing structure
- Window or door installation or replacement
- Demolition of existing structures
Work Exempt from Permit Requirements
Permits Exempt from Building Permit Requirements are as follows:
- Repairs necessary for building maintenance and upkeep, which do not exceed a cost of $2000 and that are not listed above
- Residential accessory buildings and storage sheds not used to house motor vehicles and less than 64 square-feet in floor area
- Attached and detached uncovered wood decks with floor surfaces less the 24 inches above the adjacent grade level
- Satellite dishes and antennas intended for private residential use
- Buildings and structures not within the scope of the building code
The construction referred to in this section shall comply with all building, zoning, and applicable codes regardless of building permit requirements.
To Request an inspection online complete this form
Once you obtain a building permit inspections are as follows:
- After footings are dug, but before cement is poured
- After walls are poured, but just before backfilling
- When rough framing, plumbing, heating - ventilation - air (HVAC) and electric are completed
- Final - The dwelling may not be occupied until a final inspection has been made which finds that no violations of the code exist that could reasonably be expected to affect the health and safety of the occupant
- Swimming pools require two inspections: when the rough electric has been completed, and a final inspection after the fence has been installed
If a re-inspection is necessary because the work was not completed when the inspection was called in, or if there is a code violation, or any additional inspections are called for, there will be an additional charge of $30 per inspection to be collected before the finals are approved.