Backyard Bird Habitat
Creating a Backyard Habitat
To help you protect the bird population of the area, as well as maintain your backyard habitat, we have included the following links to other informational sources:
- Audubon at Home (National Audubon Society) – Info on healthy yards, helping birds, neighborhood conservation, and ways to make a difference for migrating birds
- "Create a Bird-friendly Habitat" (National Wildlife Federation)
- "How to Attract Birds to Your Yard" (Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology)
- “Beyond the Birdfeeder: Creating a Bird-Friendly Yard with Native Wisconsin Plants” by Mariette Nowak
- Bird-related Publications (Wisconsin Bird Conservation Initiative) – Info on bird feeders, bird houses, landscaping, and cat predation
- Cats Indoors (American Bird Conservancy) - Further information on cat predation and tips to keep both cats and birds safe and healthy
- "Make Your Windows Bird-Safe" (Humane Society) - Provides a variety of methods that you can use to prevent birds from striking your windows
Certify Your Yard
By providing food, water, cover and a place for wildlife to raise their young, you not only help wildlife, but you also qualify to become an official Certified Wildlife Habitat™ and join the nearly 176,000 sites across the country.
Great Backyard Bird Count
The Great Backyard Bird Count is an annual 4-day event that engages bird watchers of all ages in counting birds to create a real-time snapshot of where the birds are. The 2015 GBBC will take place February 13-16.