On Wednesday, December 13, at approximately 4:50 p.m., officers from the Fitchburg and Madison Police Departments responded to 2096 Red Arrow Trail in the City of Fitchburg for a report of a stolen vehicle with the owner’s child left inside.
The vehicle had been briefly left running in the parking lot with an infant inside. A responding officer located the infant, unharmed, in a car seat left on the other side of the parking lot. The vehicle was located nearby unoccupied.
The Fitchburg Police Department K9 Unit assisted in the investigation.
No suspects were located and the incident remains under investigation.
Later in the evening, around 7:30 p.m., Fitchburg officers took another report of a stolen vehicle in the 4600 block of Jenewein Road. The victim reported a key fob was left in the vehicle.
Anyone with information regarding these incidents is asked to contact the Fitchburg Police Department.
This afternoon’s incident, in conjunction with the many other reports of stolen automobiles in the City of Fitchburg and surrounding area underscores the importance of taking simple crime prevention steps.
Vehicle Theft Prevention Tips
- Always lock your vehicle.
- Never leave keys or electronic fobs in your vehicle.
- Conduct a key audit to ensure you know where all sets of keys are. Some manufacturers may place a valet key in a particular area of the vehicle at the time of delivery. Check your vehicle manual to ensure there are no extra keys left in the vehicle.
- Whether in your garage, driveway or a public area, never leave your car unlocked and running.
- Keep your garage door closed.
- Familiarize yourself with your vehicle’s remote monitoring service (such as OnStar). If your vehicle is equipped with such a system and it is properly activated at the time of purchase, it may be able to provide limited information to assist in locating the vehicle even with no active subscription. Contact your dealership if you have questions regarding your vehicle’s service or its capabilities.
Prepared by: Sergeant Edward Hartwick