FITCHBURG POLICE DEPARTMENT MEDDROP BOX CHANGE
Effective October 28, 2023, the Fitchburg, Wisconsin Police Department will no longer be able to accept unwanted medication for disposal. The final day to drop off unused medication for disposal this year through the City of Fitchburg will be National Drug Take Back Day on October 28.
For well over ten years, the Fitchburg Police Department has partnered with Safe Communities of Dane County to accept unwanted medications as part of the MedDrop Program. The program provides a safe and secure way to dispose of unwanted medications, preventing possible misuse and environmental impacts.
Due to the reasons outlined below, the Fitchburg Police Department has made the difficult decision to discontinue its involvement in the program.
WHY IS THE MEDDROP PROGRAM BEING ELIMINATED FROM THE FITCHBURG POLICE DEPARTMENT
- Limited Resources: Monitoring, emptying, and sorting the contents of the bin requires the time of multiple department members, including police officers and supervisors. As the department manages a significant staffing crisis, we must prioritize resources to ensure we can effectively respond to calls for service and other critical functions related to public safety.
- Improper Use: While the MedDrop Box is monitored for security purposes, the contents emptied into it are not screened for compliance with accepted materials. Many unaccepted items, including sharps, are regularly found in the bin. Additionally, a significant amount of staff time is spent removing medications from packaging despite clearly marked instructions for those dropping medications off. The department has also noted large quantities of items that appear to be from medical care facilities.
- Available Alternatives: There are several MedDrop locations in close proximity to the City of Fitchburg and several pharmacies either in or near Fitchburg that have added medication and sharps disposal options.
OTHER LOCATIONS AND ALTERNATIVES
For a list of MedDrop locations visit: https://safercommunity.net
The Fitchburg Hy-Vee Pharmacy accepts unused and expired medications at a drop box.
Medications can also be disposed of in the trash. Especially when there is a risk of accidental poisoning, overdose or diversion, it is better to dispose of household pharmaceuticals rather than keep them. When placing unused pharmaceuticals in the trash, be sure to:
- Remove or mark over all labels that identify the materials as pharmaceuticals or that could provide personal information about you, including prescription information that someone could try to refill;
- Render them unattractive to children and thieves by dissolving them in a small amount of water or alcohol, or by grinding them up and mixing them with coffee grounds or kitty litter; and put them in a second container or small plastic bag and hide them in your trash.
WILL THIS PROGRAM RETURN TO THE CITY OF FITCHBURG POLICE DEPARTMENT?
The Fitchburg Police Department will transition to participating in the annual D.E.A. Drug Take Back Day program held every fall. Information on this event's date, time, and location will be shared on the City of Fitchburg website and social media platforms. Additional opportunities may be considered in the future.
The Fitchburg Police Department appreciates our community's commitment to safely disposing unwanted medication. We also wish to thank Safe Communities for their work and partnership.