- Planning & Zoning
- Healthy Neighborhoods Initiative
Healthy Neighborhoods Initiative
City of Fitchburg Healthy Neighborhoods Initiative
The City of Fitchburg’s Healthy Neighborhoods Initiative (HNI) is designed to formulate and implement a strategic, collaborative, and holistic approach to address specific issues in three northern City neighborhoods, in conjunction with community/neighborhood partners and residents. These “Priority Neighborhoods” are identified on the map below:
What are Healthy Neighborhoods?
Healthy neighborhoods have the following defining features:
1. Equity….in access to opportunities.
2. Diversity….in land uses, housing stock, and people.
3. Components that are integrated, stable, and sustainable…..education, employment, housing, recreation, public safety, environment, etc.
What is Fitchburg doing to move Priority Neighborhoods towards Healthy Neighborhoods?
The City has developed a strategic plan to guide HNI implementation. This framework consists of Pillars, Pillar Principles, Indicators, and Action Items. Working in conjunction, these elements provide a foundation for moving Priority Neighborhoods towards Healthy Neighborhoods.
Pillars and Pillar Principles
Pillars serve as HNI “goal categories” and Pillar Principles serve as “goals”, and are as follows:
Evaluation of HNI success and outcomes, and movement towards Healthy Neighborhoods and Pillar Principles, is premised largely on
the concept of Indicators and associated targets. These Indicators
are organized around Pillars and Pillar Principles and identify
desirable and attainable neighborhood characteristics.
Action items are specific courses of action to move Priority
Neighborhoods towards Healthy Neighborhoods, Pillar Principles,
and Indicator targets. The HNI has four Action Item categories.
Click on the Action Item categories below to learn more:
Promotion: Marketing the HNI to stakeholders and identifying sustaining financial resources
People: Human resources to undertake HNI work
Places: Physical locations in which to implement HNI work.
- Check out the City's plan for a neighborhood/community "hub" in the N. Fish Hatchery Road Priority Neighborhood.
- Check out the City's engagement efforts for a potential "teen center" in the Verona Road West Priority Neighborhood.
Programs: HNI activities, programs, and services (including the City of Fitchburg’s HNI Grant Program)
For further information on the HNI, please contact the following: